Mission Mouse

Weird Weather Anyone?

To be rather specific, I live in South-Western Ontario, Canada. We do not live in what is referred to here as a snow-belt area. Consequently we do not get as much snow, which is why I moved from my home-town to the city I now reside in. I don't do winter sports because I actually LOATHE snow. For whatever reason, Jake's left back foot is very cold sensitive and he limps if he is outside too long. Now that's kinda sad because Jake LOVES snow.

Dave used to do winter sports, but now that he is getting older, he is also sensitive to the cold and doesn't like the cold weather anymore. When he is chilly, he get's Jake and they curl up on the sofa underneath a blanket. This is why Jake is referred to as Dave's binky. When Dave is on the road, I get the house binky. Michael doesn't want Jake in his room so he never gets the house binky.

We've been getting snow on and off for a couple of weeks now and usually we don't get snow until almost the middle of December. I've lived in this area for close to 40 years now and we have had 2 bad snow storms that closed schools and businesses. Yep, in 40 years only 2 snow storms! Where I lived as a kid, we'd get snowstorms on a weekly basis. But an actual snow-day was practically unheard of, one way or another we made it to school. From kindergarten to Grade 3, my cousin and I walked to school, sometimes snagging a ride with the road grader operator or the snow-plow operator. That was when I lived with my Aunt and Uncle. When my adoptive mother died in a car crash, I went back to live with my adoptive father. When he married for the third time, that wife would drive us to school when the buses were cancelled. My brother and I were the only country kids in school on those day because she couldn't stand having us at home. The thing was that because of so few kids at school, we didn't have lessons. The teachers always organized a bunch of movies for us and that's what we did on snow days.

Anyways I digress, getting back to the weird weather, Jake is mighty confused. He gets all excited in the morning to see the snow, but by the afternoon the snow is gone and he just can't figure out where it went. He goes from one place to another and looks back at me with this confused look in his eyes. Meanwhile I am standing outside, shivering and wanting him to hurry up and all he wants to do is find out where the snow went. He also has the kind of fur where the snow sticks and he looks like he has a million wee snowballs stuck to his belly and legs. I just hate that, it's so hard to get all the snow off of him and keep him warm at the same time.

I guess because of global warming, this kind of weather is going to be our new normal and I was curious, is anyone else experiencing similar weird weather conditions, or possibly very different from what you were used to?

It has been snowing here for some days now, not much but there is a thin layer of snow on the lawn. This is not unusual for where I live. When I was a little girl it snowed a lot and often started in the end of october. The snow that comes now is often gone in a week or so, but then we will get some snow again in late december. The weather has changed a lot, but to me it looks like its going in cirkles. Some years we had very snowy winters when I was little and then there were years with less snow and the same when my kids were small but I think it has been a long time since we had a lot of snow lately. The weather is changing and if it is global warming or klimate change I don't know. Maybe it is supposed to be like this but we (all people) are making it to happen sooner than it should.

The snow on our deck is now about 3 inches deep and it's still snowing. Jake has gone out numerous times, buried his ball in the snow, then dived for it. He's rolled all over the deck and gotten himself covered with snow. When he finally came in he was covered  with snow and even managed to bring a good amount of snow inside with him. Naturally it melted and Jake was very disappointed.

I doubt that this snow will stay, it never does this early.

I tried putting dog boots on Jake, yeah that was fun, not for him, for me.  :slapLaugh: He wouldn't move at all until I took them off.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.