Moving Sims2 Files to SFS

Mission Mouse

• Administrators

My plan is to move 2 pages a day to SFS, so I think it will take me approximately 2 weeks to get them all moved. It's a slow process because of the time involved in uploading them to SFS.

I'm also doing this when I am also trying to get some Christmas baking done and making freezer meals. I want to get one page loaded first thing in the morning, and the second page after our evening meal.

• Administrators

Wow, that's a lot of files MM.   I've been working on Nonni's because her lots were sometimes quite large and lots of pics. for her Sims.  It's a bit time consuming to upload the pic to postimage.org but not as bad as checking all of mine to update them.  She has 5 pages of things and I don't think I've completed even one page in the last couple of days.  :(  If you are able to do 2 pages a day that is outstanding.  

Edit:

I went back and checked and I guess I have done about a page and a half.  I go to the last page first to do the oldest to the newest.

• Administrators

You don't have to save the pictures, just choose *upload new version* delete the old file and then paste in the link to SFS. It will push the file to the front of Nonni's uploads. I'm doing mine that way so I can keep better track of the ones I have moved to SFS.

• Administrators

Oh I know I don't have to do that but most of her files have fuzzy pics form photobucket and it's too hard to tell what they are of for the most part.  So I've been installing each of her items and making new pics. 

I really like how once I fix a post it pushes it to the front so I can tell where I am.  I'm kind of doing one or two of hers then one of my own.

I figured out how to fix the bad links to our own files.  If you look at the source of the descriptions and replace "http://www.affinitysims.info/ips4/uploads    with   "http://www.affinitysims.com/index.php?/file/uploads

• Administrators

It looks to me like you are just creating separate rar files of your files.  I thought you meant that you were going to use the rar application to split up large files.  That is what many people used to really get confused about.  There were times that was the only way to post really large files like a neighborhood.  Of course you could use zip to do what you are doing.  Just sayin ,.... sorry I really hate rar files and have to really want the item to download them, especially if I do not know the person who uploaded it.

• Administrators

I did some research as to why people hate rar files and I found this interesting post at Nvidia , now it must be at the time of this post it wasn't piracy to unrar but it is my understanding it is now.  I know people who were not a part of the piracy dark webs are not as familiar as to why it's so bad.    The post is here:  https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/discover/223119/off-topic-why-do-people-use-rar/

Would you please consider putting all of the files for these sets into one zip for those of us who don't want to have to download so many files....please?   Thanks so much!

• Administrators

I've been looking around and I know a lot of people on MTS are Russian, but I do find a lot of people there are using rar files.  I don't know maybe $30 per computer to use something that is free in other forms is the thing to do now days.  I'm quite sure TSR does not allow rar files, at least they didn't used too do so,  Zip is just so much easier to use....I do not get it.  With zip you can just drag the files within said zip to the folder you want it in.  Rar's have to be extracted and half the time I can't find where the files are nor if it actually extracted it.  

If you would please consider having one large zip of a set, I would really appreciate it.  Thanks for your consideration.

• Administrators

I split the files up because I keep timing out when I'm uploading to SFS.  I'll look for Winzip now.

I went and checked and both WTS and TSR use rar and not a zip format anymore. Rar does have an expiry date, but most people just close that screen and just rar their files. That's what I've been doing for years.

All blog sites and independent sites also use Rar files.

Whatever file you download the rar to, is the file where it is eXtracted to. It extracts to a file that has the same name as the rar.

Since I am VERY anal, and need to keep my files very well organized, I just move that file into the game mods folder into the section I have pertaining to that type of file. I have everything in specific files, kitchen, living room, bedroom, paintings, curtains--I'm sure you can see how very Virgo I am. :ROLF:

The WinZip I found is also not free anymore, just like WinRar it's $30.00 one time fee. The reason I looked at that one was because I wanted the latest version. I can still get a free version but honestly no one uses WinZip anymore.

• Administrators

You don't need winzip.  Zip is included with windows.  That's another thing I don't understand why anyone would pay money for something that is free.  I guess I should have asked you if you know that it came with windows and has since at least XP version.  I wonder if people quit using zip because it won't work in the EA Games folder, they get this error.  

Error.jpg

I just put the files I want into a folder and copy it to a place zip will work.  I keep a couple of working folders on my desktop that I just call 1, 2 and 3.  Example my Wading pool folder:

I didn't get a very straight line with the highlighter....I never noticed I could do that before.  I happen to draw on the image by mistake and noticed the pens and highlighter on the Snip and Stretch app.  At first, I couldn't get a screenshot of the send to box every time I tried to copy it,  it would close that box.  I found you can tell it to take a screenshot in 3 seconds or 10 seconds.:ROLF:  Here I'm trying to show you something and I learned some pretty neat tricks myself.  

Example.jpg

I thought I'd get in trouble if I rar'd a file and uploaded it online.   WinRar used to be free for individuals to use.  It says that is no longer the case, so I was afraid to use it except for personal use.  WinRar used to allow people to add batch files to the file which would run as soon as one opened the rar.  I did run the winrar program today and I do not see where a person can do that anymore. 

Edit:  Oh my goodness I forgot to finish what I was trying to explain.  If you select the Compressed (zipped) folder option it will place all those files in one zip.  You can also have several files selected and zip them up too.

• Administrators

Sorry, I am only half awake and very forgetful...If your file is so large you keep getting timed out then I guess it's not something you can do.  My concern is that on MTS people used to do several separate file uploads and lots of people would ask them to include an all files zip.   I know I personally would skip downloading things like that because it was just too much to have to click all those files to download then to uncompress them and then I like to keep sets all in one folder under another folder of that creator's name...if they are someone I really like their creations.

• Administrators

I was searching to see if it is legal to use WinRar for individuals and I came across this article, which tells me that WinRar is now safe to use.  

After the security researchers informed WinRAR of their findings, the team patched the vulnerability with version 5.70 beta 1 of the software.

The full article can be found click here.  

• Administrators

:ROLF: WTS? I dunno, I meant MTS, you're not the only one half asleep. Both Dave and I are coming down with colds. :29cw6j4_th.jpg:

I found a way to sort of merge the extremely large files, but I still have to have more than 1 file. SFS will tell you if the file is too large. I didn't realize that at first and thought I was just timing out.

• Administrators

Oh my goodness I just didn't guess that...LOL!  Oh gosh, it is that time of year, but I do hope and pray you both have a speedy recovery.

I noticed you had them in two files now.  (for me that is a lot better), but I didn't mean you should remove all the small files, there are bound to be some people who will like it like that.  Like Alet, it's just that there were so many.  I know we don't get many comments like I used to get at MTS and would read at MTS but people can be really mean about it.  I always felt jez I'm doing this just to share not asking for lots of money or anything.   I know at MTS people would post thing both ways when  they had several item.  

• Administrators

Yes, they used to do that and then went to just using Rar files. I think Rar files may be smaller than Zip files, but I don't know that for sure. I have Netflix and also the Disney Channel and also Prime-which is from Amazon. I am watching Christian movies on Prime.I love them all, especially the ones that portray life in the time of Jesus. The modern day ones are quite good too.

• Administrators

rar's are a bit smaller but I guess 7zip is a lot smaller, but I don't know for sure either I haven't tested it.  I have those too and Hulu (my favorite)  I don't have cable tv I only watch well mainly Hulu, I have the new Disney plus but it's more for the kids.  I've tried watching a couple of the Marvel shows but I always fall asleep.  I added Lifetime and Hallmark to my prime just so I could get some of the Christmas movies.  I am quite disappointed in both though as the movies all seem to be old ones I've seen  before.  I was hoping they'd have newer ones.

Archived