The snowsituation

Marbi

We have had unusually little snow here, most of it melted away. Yesterday it started snowing and it still is. In the county south of us they have a category 4 warning and people are asked to stay home and schools are closed. So I just wanted to show you how our driveway looked when we got up this morning. We didn't get any newspaper in our mailbox and I am not surprised, it was filled with snow instead. After 2,5 hours my husband and I had cleared enough to be able to get our car out of the garage.

Snö4.jpg

Snö2.jpg

Snö3.jpg

We are safe and warm. The coldest we had was -25 C outside yesterday but inside the house it was +25 C. It is still cold today but the weather report says that it will be around -8 C on sunday and that is OK for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Wow, that is a lot of snow!  We had one big snowfall so far this year but I don't believe we got quite that much snow.  It's only 7° here this morning, which I believe is a bit colder then -25 C.   I sure hope you are able to keep warm, I'm only allowed to have my apartment at 72°, which seem to be warm enough for me.   

The cold is not a problem, we are warm enough in the house even if it is cold outside. We have had snow again, once about five days ago and our driveway looked again as in the pictures above, once the day before yesterday and it was not as much as before but it was heavy because the degrees were about + -0 C (32 F) and that means it is wet snow and it is very heavy. The problem is that we will soon have no room for the snow we shovel away.

I had a hard time sleeping that night because the snow on the roof was starting to slide down and it sounded like the roof was about to break. Everything did not slip off at once but at first it was only a bit at a time so it lasted for an hour or so and kept me awake.

Now it is cold again but only -8 (17.6 F) degrees C so it is not very cold. -13 F is about -25 C.

• Administrators

Oh my goodness Marbi, I sure hope all that snow does not damage your roof.  I'm so sorry to hear it kept you awake for so long, it must have been a bit scary too.  

I had to find a site to tell me what the -25 C was and it had a calculation to do but I thought I did it wrong as it also showed a table and I guess the table wasn't very accurate,

I so happy you are staying warm inside!  :)

Now that the snow is gone from the roof it is OK. 🙂 I also looked at a page that had this calculation so maybe it isn't totally accurate. They are not all trustwordy and I only tested one.

• 3 weeks later...

Today we have shoveled away the snow around the greenhouse. It was about to break the walls so it was time. Today it was only -8 C so it was really nice to be outside. We have bought seeds and will soon start sowing vegetables and flowers while waiting for spring and heat to come so that we can put them out in the greenhouse.

snow.jpg

• Administrators

Oh my goodness! How deep are those snow layers? I can not even imaging how it would be to live in that cold!

My daughter and her husband had to shovel the snow away before they could enter their house, this last week. They have to connect their car to a power socket every evening, so that they will be able to drive to work, same thing when they arrive at work.

I think it was 50-70 cm deep in some places. The middle layer was frozen about 15 cm, and more like ice than snow. We have a warm garage so the car is in there most of the time when we are not using it. Being out is not at all bad as long as it is not blowing cold winds and now the sun is up more so it is getting warmer and more light during the day. I have layers of clothes when I go out to keep warm.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

When I was a little girl, we lived in a snow belt area and this deep snow was an every day occurance to us. Janet and I walked to school, 2 miles away and couldn't even see over the snow banks. It was natural for snow banks to be a minimum of 3 to 5 feet tall. In fact it was downright normal and it was also the kind of weather we all learned to drive in as teenagers. Now where I live, we get a couple of cm's of snow and everyone is like, *Time to close the schools, time to declare a snow day.* Dave and I just shake our heads and laugh.

Archived