New Computer

• Administrators

I finally got my new computer, then I couldn't log in here. I am struggling to get the Sims 2 to work, but it tells me I need Microsoft DirectX 9.0

I got that, but can't figure out how to install it into the Sims2, or where about it's supposed to install.

I am on a massive learning curve here and my brain is boggled. I had no clue that a desktop would be so different than a laptop, but apparently it is. Well maybe just for me it is.

I was a bit stupid and didn't order a monitor so I had to order one and wait for it. It came today and it's an Asus Eye Care Monitor which is great, but I never bothered to look at the size. :1doh1:This thing is 27 inches. :thud: I also cannot get the keyboard backlight to turn on and I have watched a lot of videos on how to do it, but I still can't get it to turn on.

PLUS!!! This computer has no thingie where I can insert a disc. 

• Administrators

My newer computer did not come with a disk drive either.  I ordered an external DVD drive, but I never use it.  My guess is you need to run the Graphic Rules Maker.  Get it here.

• Administrators

I did run the graphics rule maker, that's not the problem. It keeps telling me I need Microsoft Direct9X.c, but I don't know where to extract those files to.

PLUS--everytime I sign in and out, it tells me my password is wrong, either that or it's my user name. I really don't know what is going on.

When I try and watch youtube videos, the computer crashes. :mad:

• Administrators

So...in the middle of posting the above, the computer crashed. :mad:

I'm using Firefox right now instead of Chrome, to see if it's Chrome that is causing the problem.

• Administrators

I found where someone suggest you run Sims 2 in window mode instead of full screen.  To do that you have to start your game from a shortcut on your desktop with a -w at the end of your Target option.  See image:

Karen2.jpg

• Administrators

So...I uninstalled, rebooted my desktop, reinstalled and opened the game. It works.

UNTIL you put the *-w*, then it crashes.

Forget the CD crack, that makes it crash too.

I have no idea who to ask.....except for trying to find gayars on Discord and see if I can ask her there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Long story.

The new computer I got turned out to be a lemon. I had to take it back to the store, get a refund and then the store ordered a new for me and got it delivered there.

Then we had to take in my external hard drive so the new computer could be set up. They called Friday, Dave picked it up and brought it to me at 7pm.

From Friday night until now I have been trying to get Sims 2 to work with the advanced graphics settings.

I watched this girl on Youtube who had a video about this Sims2-4GB patch. I got the patch and did what she said in her video and guess what?  :thud:

Yeah, that didn't work. I commented on her channel that it didn't work and she told me to try this and that....nothing worked.

Then I googled that the 4GB patch didn't work and a possible solution was at Leefish. I went there an hour ago because that is how long I have been trying to get the game to work and had to uninstall it and reinstall it several times. I had to find files and manually make changes.

Guess what? :cheerleader: IT WORKS!!

Then I had to do a live chat with Corel to get my Paintshop reinstalled. You have a time limit to download those files and I've had that program for a long time. They gave me new links to get it downloaded.

I suppose the upside of all of this is that I now have a small book that has ALL my passwords for sites I need to log into.

Oh, almost forgot, I also downloaded Sims 4 and purchased the stuff packs I didn't have.

This means I can go back to recolouring stuff.  :366915: I am a very happy old lady. :noddingSmiley:

• Administrators

Sims 2 doesn't recognize my video card, so I searched for a fix and GUESS WHAT? The game won't open anymore. I posted to Leefish and am waiting for their help.

Since Sims 2 doesn't recognize my video card, it won't open in windows mode. That means I cannot take pictures of what I make to upload my stuff.

I am this close.>< to having a gigantic meltdown. 😭

• Administrators

I know you do not like the Ultimate Collection version of Sims 2, but it does work.  If all else fails you could consider using that.  I really almost hate to suggest it, but I do know it works, once you are able to get your graphics setting setup.