Anyone can mesh!

RubberMan

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

I needed to write the tutorial for another person, on a different item, but there are many things others don't teach and new things I have learned since I made my video version.  So I felt it was something I really needed to do.  I'm sorry Simon, I really should have said something first too, I hope you didn't spend a lot of time on it.

I am a bit tired but the first part will get you a package file.  I will try to complete it later, or in the morning. 

• Administrators

I was wondering how you did the pre-simpe stuff actually.  I only know how to do it in MilkShape, I was going to wait until I did the microwave, as it has joints, but then the other gal's questions were better answered using the table, or something simple.

• Members

I was using Maya Rebecah before Milkshape but I now prefer UV Mapper classic + Milkshape

In Morrowind I made everything as separate faces so Milkshape is great for their UV map system (ctrl + t) if you do that.

I was overjoyed when you told me you could re-group them all haha!

• Administrators

For this project I found the Wings3D to work well for laying out the top portion of the table, but not so good for the legs.  For the final layout, I find MilkShape the easiest to use.

I do find it is best to break down each section of the mesh then regroup it once I have it all laid out.

• Members

Breaking them down for Morrowind was a must. The environment was much more important than it is in Sims 2 so precision has to be used. In fact not only breaking them down but reams of math equations were needed to ensure the textures were not even a pixel out of place.

I also think 99% of the Sims 2 meshes are over poly because of the way they are made. I could speed up the game no end if I had the time to go through the meshes 1 by 1. That tutorial table I did for instance.... I know it doesn't seem like much but I would normally remove the bottom feet if I was putting it into the game - that's 4 faces, 16 vertices that the processor doesn't need to draw and 4 faces that you wouldn't see anyway so why have them?

A lot of the originals have also been quadrangulated rather than triangulated which adds even more vertices for the processors brain to deal with.

(I think Maya is at fault for this)

• Administrators

You are so right about the faces, and I do usually take out portions that are not needed, but not always.  The bottom section could be replaced with a single plane, or removed altogether too.

You could be right about the Maya as I understand EA uses Maya to create their meshes.