UA-38832503-1 Jump to content
  • Announcements

• Rebecah

Private Messages   11/10/2017

I have finally restored most of the private messages in a separate database.   Click Here and log in.  You should be able to find your messages.  That is all I have there for now.  Most images and files should be available..now.   You must open this message to use the link.
    • Rebecah

We are still here! :)   11/13/2017

It looks like all our hard work paid off, as we were not shut down yesterday.  Thank so much for all your help!
Mission Mouse

Hiding Places

I had some good hiding places where I would put some things that Jake didn't need right then and there. Like when we buy him new miniature tennis balls, they come in 3 packs. He only needs one at a time, well that's what seems reasonable to me. The problem is that he seems to have acquired this ability to *sniff* out a new hiding place. My latest place that I thought was perfect was the desk drawer. That was working so well, he didn't have a clue there was a stash in there at all.

Then I had a *duh* moment.... :1doh1: , the drawer was open and I forgot....Jake was begging to be picked up and cuddled and as we were cuddling he looked over my shoulder. :1doh1:  :1doh1:

The secret stash has now been depleted and I have to find a new hiding place, the problem....I have a tendency to forget where I hide things. :ROLF:

Jake still thinks there are balls stashed in the desk drawer and comes over to it at least once a day, gets on his hind legs, and puts his front paws on the drawer. Then I have to pick him up and show him there are no more balls in the drawer. The next thing to happen, I get *that look*. Any person who is owned by a dog, knows exactly what look I am talking about.

Now see that? I am NOT a dog owner, I am owned by my dog. :ROLF:  At least I got that down pat. :slapLaugh:

It's official, Jake has lost his mind. :slapLaugh:

I am not a big fruit eater, I prefer vegetables, but I had some cherries for a snack. I had them in a bowl on a table in front of the TV. Jake stole 3....but it was what he did with them. :1doh1:

He did NOT eat them. Nope. He chased them all over the living room, barked at them, dive bombed them and threw them. :shocked:

I have no clue what triggered that, I don't think he could taste the tartness because he never broke the skin on the cherries. When he stole the first one I thought , OK, but then he kept coming back for more.... :shocked:  After he stole the third one, I moved my bowl.

Today I had an apple, he wasn't the least bit interested in that.

I've always known he was nuts, but the cherry thing, I dunno....he just lost his marbles.

He did redeem himself in the middle of the night. I haven't been sleeping well so I was up really late....but since I was here at the computer, the house was quiet. We have this motion light that goes on when someone is on the deck. The light went on, Jake went ballastic and the idiot that thought he could break into our house got the scare of his life. I ran to the patio doors and saw this moron on the deck, he was so shocked to see both Jake and me. He just stood there, frozen for a minute or two, while I yelled that I was going to set off the house alarm. That seemed to sink in and he took off. I think he might have had to go back to his home and change his underwear.

All the police can do is patrol our street, the guy didn't do any damage and even if they could have caught him, he could only have been charged with trespassing. They also told me that since he now knows Jake is here and will bark and that we have an alarm system, it's unlikely he'll come back to our house. There was no vehicle in our driveway which is why he probably thought no one was here and he could get away with breaking in.

They did find it a tad bit amusing that with Jake being such a small dog, he kicked up such a huge ruckus. The one policeman said, "Small dog, big attitude."

They did tell me that with the weather turning nice, they have had a lot of break-ins and break-in attempts. They also told me to keep my alarm turned on 24/7 and my front door and side door and windows always locked. Well the alarm isn't usually on during the day, but the doors and windows are always locked. Apparently back yards that are fully fenced in are favourite targets for thieves.

The weird thing was, I wasn't scared at all, just angry that someone was in my backyard and wanting to break into my house.

Gracious! I am glad that you and Jake are safe. Good job Jake! Times are so different now and people are desperate. Although it can be a nuisance I'd take the officers advice and keep that alarm on 24/7.

I just found out, 3 other houses were targeted on my street this week. None of the break-in attempts were successful. I don't know any more than that, but it does seem as if our street is a hot spot right now.

The thing is, it's not just thieves, we are also undergoing an influx of scammers knocking on doors attempting to sell services. The one that had me seeing red---this kid, well he couldn't have been more than 18 or 19, knocked on the door and then claimed he was part of a government program checking on the furnaces and ensuring they are all up to code.

There is NO such government program. Two years ago this exact same company claimed to be checking water heaters as part of a government program as well.

If they are successful, what you get is a new water heater or furnace that comes with this 10 year contract and the fees increase substantially each and every year. A lot of the people on my street are seniors, I worry that they will fall for this stuff. I called the city and the Better Business Bureau to complain and let them know these scammers are out again.

What I learned was that if you do fall for their sales pitch, as long as you cancel BEFORE the installation date, there is no problem, but if you try and cancel the contract after they have installed their product, it will cost thousands of dollars to get out of their contract. The lady at the BBB told me her neighbour fell for the water heater scam 4 years ago and spent close to 5 grand to get out of the contract. When her son sat down and figured out the money she spent, it actually cost her the fees that she would have spent on the contract had she stayed in it for the full 10 years.

I am so sick and tired of these door to door thieves, I can't even be bothered to be polite anymore. I have a sign on my front door that says, NO Soliciting.

When they knock, and they always do, sign or no sign, I let them get out the first part of their spiel, then I usually point to their clipboard (they always seem to have one in their hands) and then ask if they can read or are they illiterate....that seems to get them, dunno why :slapLaugh:

I get this odd look, then when they assure me they can read, I point to my sign and tell them, "Read that!" I don't even bother to say good-bye, I just close the door, lock it and go back to what I was doing.

My grouch meter is running a bit high these days due to my trouble sleeping. Last night my phone company called to try and get me to switch my satellite TV back to them. I kept telling the woman I wasn't interested and she kept on telling me why I should.

I finally interrupted her and point blank asked her what part of NO did she not understand, the N or the O or was the combination of both letters too confusing for her.

I had already said no thank you about 5 times.... :1doh1:

I have to say my worst moment was on Mother's Day. I don't *do* Mother's Day.

My own mother was a monster and the step-witch was just as bad, so I just don't do that day.

I get this call for a survey :o  Seriously, they were conducting some kind of survey from a telemarketing firm on that day. Who was the moron who thought that was a good day to do that???? Aside from the bad memories I have of my mother and step-witch, it's just not a good day for me and that poor caller had no idea what she was getting into when she dialed my number.

I wonder if telemarketers have this list of nightmare people and then call them just to get them going....I actually feel very sorry for anyone who is a telemarketer, that has got to be one of the worst jobs.

I am eternally grateful for the person who invented call display. :up4:

"Small dog, big attitude."

You are such an inspiration to me, and you are definitely the Mission (Impossible) Mouse who has also this Big Attitude.

This made me think of you:

post-6495-0-94641400-1432769107_thumb.jp

I believe God placed you here to be a channel of inspiration and to provide a challenge to us all. Thank you. :icon_hug::sunny day smiley:

Odd, my dad said I was a challenge as well. :ROLF:

God isn't finished with me yet. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :slapLaugh:

It seems all the door knocking and the middle of the night surprise has taken it's toll on Jake. I can't get anything done because the poor wee fella needs to be cuddled constantly. I'm not complaining, but I'm pretty sure my face has never been cleaner. :smiley_laughing:

We did our spring cleaning this morning. Jake is very confused and he's beyond tired. All this activity and he didn't get his nap. :slapLaugh:

I kinda regret cleaning the front windows, he's been parked in front of them for quite a while now and we are having a disagreement on his barking now that he can see the front clearly.

I need a nap too now, but it's too close to supper time and I am making some deviled eggs and home made German Potato Salad to go with our cold cuts.

I will never understand Dave's ability to eat what passes for potato salad that he buys from the grocery store. That stuff is just vile.

It really has no flavour at all. I think they just add mayonnaise to the potatoes. I make my own dressing for potato salad

It's been such a beautiful day and I hated wasting it doing cleaning, but for the better part of the late morning and early afternoon, it was simply too hot to sit outside.

We are celebrating with a cold cut supper. We made our final mortgage payment today. :cheerleader:

I tried to put my slippers on this morning. Jake had stashed a ball in each one. So now he has hiding places too?

Most mornings one slipper is still in the bedroom while the other one is in the bathroom. He obviously gets up sometime during the night and plays with a slipper.

Sometimes I get so focused on making new outfits for the game, I don't notice that I have removed my slippers, until I get up to stretch. Today I had to go barefoot for a while. Jake had both slippers in his dog bed and was napping on them. I treasure his peaceful moments, so I wouldn't disturb him to get them. The cats are very grateful.

Squeak is hanging out at the water bowl. She plays in it, I thought cats didn't like water. When she's finished, there is water all over the place and her face and feet are soaking wet. I do wish she'd use a mop to clean the floor after she's finished.

Pip was sitting here on the desk for the longest time, just watching me make outfits. He likes the little cursor and chases it around the screen. Every so often I get a head-butt which means, *Stop and pet me.*

Reverse psychology doesn't work on Jake. I keep waking up every morning and I always find one of my slippers in the bathroom. It's not annoying, it's just the way things are. So last night I had this, what I thought was a brilliant idea, and left both slippers in the bathroom. I was kinda hoping that during the night, they would make their way into my bedroom. :slapLaugh:

Didn't happen.  I know he was in there playing, found a ball in one of my slippers, but he didn't bring them into my bedroom.

On the plus side, BOTH slippers were still in the bathroom.

I didn't have to put just one on and then hunt for the other one. :AF1ChickenKip003:

I had a cat once that liked to play 'slap' with her water bowl.

Squeak also known as ThunderPaws and Miss GrouchyPants, likes to park herself in front of the water bowl and dip her paws in and swish the water around. She absolutely cannot drink water without getting her chin and chest dripping wet.

The *ThunderPaws* is because when she comes down the steps she sounds like an elephant.

*Miss GrouchyPants* is because she will sit on my pillow as I am getting ready for bed and grouch away until I get out her comb and brush.

Normally she is a real cuddly cat, but she does have her *take over the world* moments.

Oh Miss Mouse, I do enjoy reading your posts, and all about your life with your furbabies...and Dave too, lol!

Just two nights ago a neighbor (one whom we do not like very much because of his vile temper) walked right up to our front door at 8:30 pm ...we usually close the blinds by then, but we were watching the antics of the birds at the feeder. He was so quiet, that I saw him before Jeff or the dogs did, so I grabbed Bud by the collar and whispered to Jeff that someone was here..but Bud caught the word "Here", which is what I call one of his trigger words, and all (you know what) broke loose, but worse yet I had Bud by the collar and he literally dragged me across the living room floor about ten feet! Jeff said I looked like John Candy in the move 'The Great Outdoors', where he goes water skiing and doesn't let go of the rope no matter what! Well, Jeff said I shoulda let go because I ended up getting pulled right into a stand head first, and I am in pain head to toe!

My friend Deb pointed out that I need to establish a 'no uninvited visitor policy'...and then she stated the obvious, I should never try to grab hold of a 90 lb. dog who becomes all muscle whenever he is anxious! Just let him go, and the worse that happens is he goes flying into the front door scaring away anyone who has half a brain, and values their life, lol!

THAT is home security for sure... :laugh1: As far as water loving cats go, I had one who spent a lot of her time playing with the kitchen faucet, and another who used to sit on the edge of the tub when I bathed...tapping the water from time to time, and swishing the tip of his tail into the water ...I always expected him to fall in, but he never did.

Lately the main intruder into our yard has been a black bear..He made quite a mess last month, and I have just started putting the humming bird feeder back up at night..we've had a lot of company (family) camping out here this summer, so I took the feeders down for safety purposes while people were coming in and out of the house at night especially.

Whenever scammers strike this area, our police department will alert the local news, and they will do a story on it, it seems to happen about once a year or so, and there are quite a few older residents up here in the summer months who always seem to be the targets for many of these scammers. The older I get the fewer people I trust, and I truly believe I am less friendly to strangers than I used to be, but I am also more loving to those whom I care about too...so I think that is OK. :noddingSmiley:

In between making outfits for the game I am also cleaning house. Dave's niece is getting married on Saturday and Dave's brother, John, will be back here from British Columbia. The house has to be spotless when he comes to visit.

Jake has decided that any activity involving a broom or a mop is a situation that needs intervention. His method of intervening----attack the offending object. :1doh1:

Squeak decided she wanted to get in on the action too so any dust piles I had, she zoomed right through them, spreading the dust all over the place. :1doh1:

I have decided that all this extra work qualifies as exercise. :slapLaugh:

I am this close >  < to getting out the playpen, putting them both inside and then tipping it over so they will be trapped. :ROLF:

I have decided that all this extra work qualifies as exercise. :slapLaugh:

I once worked at a hotel cleaning the lobby and rooms...I surprised the gals at the front desk by telling them that my job was like going to the gym everyday and getting paid for it...Now, just cleaning my tiny house is hard work...and Bud likes to get right in the middle of it too, while Sasha steers clear of all things with a handle that touch the floor!

I once tried to vacuum her in order to get at the source of all the hair that ends up all over the house...(More advice from my friend Deb)...She gets her exercise by running as far away from the vacuum as possible now, and hiding under the kitchen table as soon as she sees it!)...I haven't the heart to try it again.

Every time I read about your cats I want one so badly, but Jeff is not on board...even though if we got one, He'd likely end up being the one most attached.

That playpen idea sounds like a winner! :grin: