UA-38832503-1 Jump to content
Mission Mouse

Medieval Game Play

..so I got most of the stuff from the Keep, and it's in my game, but some of it isn't going to stay if I can figure out what I don't like. And then when I went to make my first Peasant hovel, I'd lost my meat grinder. So that was an afternoon spent lurking all over the net to find it and couldn't. So I thought that maybe it was in another "theme" that I have on my external hard drive and yep....it comes from 4esf--are they still around? I couldn't find them. I'm not totally thrilled with the counters either....Sofal made some nice ones that are suitable, but the sink melts into the table instead of sitting on top. Plus I am experimenting.....trying to fit everything in one room. It's not like a peasant could really afford a two story hovel. :slapLaugh:

What I am not real pleased with are any of the walls and floors, they are just not what I want {they don't match any of the windows or doors I have}.......and then there are the windows. I really am torn whether to use closed shutter windows or not.

I have 12,470 files in Bodyshop, and 19,917 files in furnishings and build. That's a bit much for this laptop, I think. My solution is to leave the Bodyshop folder out of the game for now, while I try to build suitable lots.

It's taken me weeks to get everything put into the right sub-folder and it's still not totally correct.

I wish I had the smarts to create things. I'd make a matching sink for Sofal's set, and then I'd make a matching fridge. I absolutely love these Niches I got from the Keep, but I just can't get them to look like the screen shots.

I think I'm going to have to go back and take pictures, then print them off and use them for reference.

I am trying as much as possible to make my game as authentic as possible.

I remember someone telling me that Beck's farm animals have to have a shelter so they don't freeze in the winter. Did they have that attached to their dwelling or not way back then?

Anyone know where I can get some plain, kinda rough looking wood walls? Oh and matching floors too. :smiley:

I'm also thinking that stone walls inside and out might be the way to go....

And the worst thing so far---not one of the medieval fences I got has a gate. That's really ticking me off.

So I'm off looking for suitable fences with gates, and so far I haven't found any.

I have some awesome stone fences, but no kind of gate that looks ok.

I've already been to both TSR and MTS2 and nothing grabs me. :(

I don't know how I found Kativip's site, but oh man I was there a few weeks back and about died and went to heaven.
I found some things here that I just love, the butter churn, the knitting balls, and somewhere I stumbled across a working loom. I saw one that was just decorative and I was so disappointed, but then I found a working one. There is a spinning wheel at MTS2, but it's only decorative. I want one that works :slapLaugh:

I have fire alarms that don't look like fire alarms and finally found a medieval looking bugler alarm. I have a small crystal ball that supposedly replaces the TV, and then I came across a picture that replaces the TV.

There is nothing at all that replaces the computer :(

I have no clue what they used as an alarm clock......and there is nothing anywhere I've been that does anything with the exercise equipment. I'm thinking that is because a Medieval Sims has no time to exercise. :ROLF:

I have 2 working windmills that produce flour.....I love those.

I totally suck at making flower gardens. And there is no way that they had greenhouses back then, but that can't be helped.

Gates that lock???? Is there a mod for that?

My poor addled and aged brain is just spinning. :shocked: My problem is that I am way too fussy and far to picky.

Ok...back...I went to MTS2 and got some game mods. There is a mod at Simlogical that makes gates and doors lockable.

Supposedly you can use SimPE to make doors and gates lockable, but I'm not even gonna go there.

I may surface in a day or two....Kativip has 738 downloads and I absolutely have to see each and every one. :ROLF:

:1doh1: I had the computer replacement from the Keep, just didn't remember the book was a replacement.

I sat here and downloaded every single medieval lot from Kativip's site. There are 23 of them......

I took out my medieval files and am in the very slow process of putting in one lot at a time and then going in and having a nice long look. I am missing one thing so far as it is that annoying blue colour. I don't even know what it is.....and then this lot has a bunch of rocks that are on the darn road. I watched for a bit and the vehicles just drive through the rocks, so I guess it's ok. 

I made it as far as page 500 at Kativip's site and then, WHAM, it finally caught up with me, I have been fighting getting sick for a few days now, I lost the battle. :sick: fever, chills and constantly sneezing. :29cw6j4_th.jpg:

Dave bought Jake a new bed. Jake is very busy breaking in his new bed, and no, he's not sleeping in it, he's burying his ball, in it, under it, beside it.....and then doing his pounce thing to find that elusive ball. In this way, the bed has traversed the entire living room. I suppose it's only a matter of time until he has the bed in the kitchen....It never ceases to amaze me how long Jake can do this, he does it for hours at a time, taking small rest breaks, and then he's at it again. I get tired just watching him.

My poor head is just pounding....gonna go back to :zzsoft:

Rebecah updated several gates for me to make them lockable here.

Sorry you have fallen ill, Karen.

What a relief, the head pounding has finally stopped. I installed EVERY lot from Kitivip, turns out there were 26, not 23. What a project that was.....26 separate files and then combining all the stuff inside those files. Once I had all the duplicates deleted, I wound up with a total of 4,716 files.

I haven't even compared these files with the files I already have either...... :grin:

:Thank_you: Nonni for the link for lockable gates. I'm also sorry that you are feeling sad :icon_hug:

I also think I know what is missing in all her lots----the scripts for the modular stairs she used. :(

I have no idea if her scripts are in English or Russian or how to get them. :(

So sorry you are feeling sad Nonnie... :Empathy:  I know how that is when family has to leave after a visit...But the kids all have their jobs and classes and such to return to. I miss them when they were little and always around, but time marches on!

@Karen,

Hope you get some good rest so you will feel better soon! I did the same thing on Friday...felt good, so I over did it and crashed fast! :zzsoft:

About your second story hovel...Didn't the peasants use lofts with ladders? I always loved Little house of the prairie where the girls slept in a loft...I know it is not the same era, but I wonder if it would be accurate for medieval times?

I know in Bible times the peasants kept their animals inside near the hearth and the people slept and ate on raised platforms. I might buy the Sims 3 Medieval since I don't want to overload my game with too much CC since it is also on my laptop. I remember starting to play Medieval in TS2 many years ago, I dwld all NPC replacements as well as roads and even trashcans....I had lots of files back then too! I was not as organized as you are though and soon became overwhelmed.  :scare3:

The stairs in the game are like this in the file** [nymphy] genvive stairs1**  and then go up to number 6. I googled but got nothing. I am still sorting all the CC so I'm not sure if it is the stairs, but it seemed like it was.

I went to GoS, but doing a search for modular stairs was useless, or I had no idea what I was doing. [more than likely the latter] :slapLaugh:

Oh my.....how stupid, it just dawned on me as I am typing this....why didn't I just go into build mode and see if I had modular stairs that don't show up. Oh my brain is indeed foggy. I should know better than to poke through the game when I am on my headache pills. :1doh1:

Poor Jake, Dave closed the gate on the deck and banned Jake from the back yard. Apparently Jake was playing amongst the branches Dave has stacked up against the fence. Dave is afraid Jake will either poke his eyes out or stab himself on a branch, so he goes outside on the deck to do his business and then comes back inside and pouts. It's so pitiful when he pouts....it makes me pick him up and snuggle him. I am thinking that that was Jake's plan all along....sneaky little guy. :cheesy:

Oh Lisa....I did some research and it would seem that they did indeed have two story hovels. Some of the pictures I saw showed the animals on the lower level and the people on the upper level. There wasn't any walls to separate the two levels, just stairs or ladders for the people to use.

It must have smelled pretty bad.....other pictures portrayed the animals living in an attached separate building, with just a half door separating the animals from the humans living space. The information claimed that it was done this way to help contain heat in the winter.

I'm not sure if I will actually play any of the lots, mostly I just wanted to see how they were constructed. I don't like small lots, so my plan is to poke around the lot, take pictures, print them off and use them for reference when I attempt to build.

I love driving around different neighborhoods to get ideas for lots! There is the nicest diversified architecture in a small town nearby.

I am not too proud to admit that I do lurk about sometimes. I used to do property inspections for a job up until three years ago, so I am well aware of the dangers of getting too close to some properties! It was always very stressful for me to do that job. :insane:

Most of the homes in my neighborhood are season cabin type...many are quite run down and even abandoned, so there is not much interest here either...But our taxes are low, and it is nice and quiet most of the time until summer when people drive by very fast on their ATVs!

We always hiked up until this past summer when there was too much illegal poaching in the state land adjacent to our neighborhood...Now I will have to dust off the old treadmill on the days I have some energy. :happyhappy:

I don't see why they wouldn't use the beds on a platform...I know they use couches and dining chairs...Just need to put in the steps. I can't remember whether the apartment where the wealthy guy and his daughter lives in the town (apartment life)...If there was a bed on a platform?

I have actually made bathtubs on platforms too...just as long as there is enough room for the stairs.

I hate noise too. I don't ever play my game with the speakers on!

I like the sounds of nature when the weather is good enough to open windows...The birds are awesome to listen to...And then some idiot on an ATV will go blazing by...it used to be illegal, but they changed that a couple years ago to allow in subdivisions now...even though there are miles and miles of trails available!

I found this on Pinetrest...It looks interesting for a peasant type home.

There is a town about an hour away that has homes like this...sorta like the homes in Veronaville.

post-13101-0-56386200-1389023229_thumb.j

I grew up in the country, just outside of Stratford, Ontario, Canada. For those of you who don't know, Stratford has the "Festival Theatre" and every spring through autumn you can go and see tons and tons of plays. While I was in high school, every year we went to see a play by William Shakespeare. There are a lot of houses in Stratford that are built like that, but in better shape.

I really like to build lots and then furnish them, but I want to get really good at it. And since I am going to try and build Medieval lots, I want them to be a historically accurate as I can make them.

I'd kind of like to learn how to recolour things. Sometimes I see something I just love, but the colour is not what I want.

It's really snowing here....the snow on the deck is now up to Jake's belly. He has to hop like a bunny to navigate and it looks pretty funny. He's confused as to where to do his business because there are no low areas. And he has this weird thing he does when he has to do a 2. He has to race and race and then all of a sudden he gets this panicked look on his face cause he's really gotta go....and he's wondering where the fence is.... :ROLF:

Awe poor little Jake...I know my dogs both have certain 'rules' about going too. Maybe he doesn't want you watching him? :sweat:  :slapLaugh:

That house in the picture is quite run down...I wish I had pics of the homes in the city I described.

As to historically accurate, I haven't a clue.

I wish you lots of luck in learning to recolor...I know that you can do it. I never did learn simPE...I need to be shown how to do things in order to get it.

I think that style of house is Elizabethan, but I could be very wrong. Tudor comes to mind.....

So now the snow is way past Jake's belly. Ryan, next door made it halfway to work and then spun his car on the expressway. He turned around and came home. Then he shoveled out our driveway, our front porch and our side entrance steps. I have to think of something nice to do for him.

I have made a lot of progress with my files. I had 1500 files to sort and am now down to the final stretch of about 500.

Jake keeps interrupting me to go outside to play in the snow. Bandit stuck one foot on the deck and then gave me the dirtiest look....like all that cold white stuff is my fault. Last year he was so determined to escape outside that he jumped from the microwave to the deck....he disappeared into the snow.   I don't think he has ever forgotten that or that when he did that, I laughed until I had tears rolling down my face. I do not think he has ever forgiven me for that insult to his pride.

Now Jake thinks it's a blast to jump into a big pile of snow and disappear. I adore his silly antics, especially the huge smile he has on his face as he does these silly things. He reminds me to enjoy the simplest things.

Wow...500 is really good!

I love the contrast between dog and cat behavior...of course Bandit is going to blame you for anything gone awry in his environment...Don't you know it is your fault?

After all, YOU opened the door....never mind it was his idea to step through it...even just for a toe dip!

I wish I could go outside and play in the snow  but it's. too cold..I wanna build a snowman! I tried to before surgery (thought the kids would need a laugh when they visited)...but that snow was too fluffy...I even tried to spit on it to get it to pack...but no luck! :ykiss:

Buddy and Sasha came in after only a couple minutes yesterday and Bud shivered for more than an hour...I ended up putting him in bed an wrapping a blanket up to his ears and holding him...He cannot tolerate cold at all...Today he came in lifting up his front paw...I made him lay down with the blanket in front of the heater to warm up. It is actually really hot in the house. (at least I think so) and I am always cold. :penguin02:

I have eyes, skins, and makeup that no matter what "theme" I play, I use. I think we all have our preferences in CC.

I have finally gotten ALL my files sorted and put into the proper sub-folders. I have also gone in-game and poked around at Kativip's lots. Her attention to detail is mind boggling. If there was an award for creativity when it comes to building lots, in my opinion, she should get the "Oscar".

Ea, or Maxis, or whoever makes this game, they should hire her, and get rid of the nutjob who makes the really ugly stuff.

So far I have built one hovel and then bulldozed it, then a bar/restaurant and bulldozed it.....then a farm that has two houses, one for the aging parents and one for the son and his growing family, and I bulldozed that too. *sigh*

Why do you keep bull-dozing? it is TS2, right? I am so curious, I love to see what others do in their games. Now that you know how to post pictures, please include some in your posts. Thanks and Hugs in advance.

I keep bulldozing because I just am not satisfied with my efforts. It's really that bad....I'm really out of practice.

I do the same thing you do kat, I place the furniture first and build the walls around that. It hasn't been working out so well for me this time around. :ROLF:

Post some pictures if you want. Maybe it will help to have a building brain-storming week. A lot of regulars build and might help to get your inspiration jolted. It might be just the distraction needed for some.

Very good idea.

How do you re-name a lot? All of Kativip's lots have foreign names so the name doesn't show up and I have no clue what lot is what....can I repackage the lot and give it the proper English name?

Karen, sweetie, there are a couple of ways that I know of for changing the name of a lot:

Before installing you can right click and rename the package file:

rename002_zpsc7d49091.jpg

Once you have installed the lot you can rename (and package a lot, also, if you wish):

Open your lots and housing bin...

lhbin004_zps9b60fbb4.jpg

Click on the lot that you want to rename (or package)...

lhbin002_zpsc6462c73.jpg

lhbin003_zps33523246.jpg

You can go into the lot, make some minor change, rename the lot when you leave and save it as a new package. That will change the package name and when you open the lot with the CleanPackInstaller it will now have the name you gave it.

I sincerely hope this helps. :icon_hug:

Well.....it's taking a lot longer than I thought. I had to delete all the lots and then re-install them, one at a time so I could re-name them in English and repackage them.

I love her lots, don't misunderstand me, but they are not playable the way I need them to be. I don't want my Sims to have a job, I want them to be self-sustaining farmers. I'm not sure I can build as amazingly as Kativip can, but she sure has given me some amazing ideas to try. I'm more of an entirely flat lot type of builder and she does incredible things with different ground levels. This should be hilarious as I try to attempt that kind of construction....

I've also built all my lots on the largest lot, something I didn't realize was making things more difficult for me than they needed to be.

I hope to soon have enough confidence to build, completely from scratch the other neighbourhoods....the downtown, the shopping district, the university and the holiday ones as well. All in the Medieval theme. It has the potential to be a bit of a hair-raising experience, I never, ever played the university part of the game. I have no clue how to build a university..... :ROLF: