UA-38832503-1 Jump to content
  • Announcements

• Rebecah

Private Messages   11/10/2017

I have finally restored most of the private messages in a separate database.   Click Here and log in.  You should be able to find your messages.  That is all I have there for now.  Most images and files should be available..now.   You must open this message to use the link.
    • Rebecah

We are still here! :)   11/13/2017

It looks like all our hard work paid off, as we were not shut down yesterday.  Thank so much for all your help!
Nonni

Homesteading

NeverForsaken/Lisa has been so kind as to prepare a new game for us called Homesteading. She is going to list the rules. Each person should go to Sims Stories and start a thread where they will post pictures showing how they are able to manage to keep their Sims alive. You may continue the Homesteading game with the 2nd generation and so on.

Now Lisa will share the rules and answer questions here, but remember to start your Homestead narrative with a New Topic under Sims Stories.

Over to you, Lisa!

Lisa is having some difficulties with copying and pasting here so she asked me to list the rules here:

(Please post questions about the Homesteading in this thread. :wink: )

*UPDATED*!

• No money cheats allowed.
  • No 'maxmotives'!  Any other cheats are OK

*In order to level the challenge...Here is a guideline for the money each family is allowed to begin with:
One Sim:              25,000 
Two Sims:            30,000
Three Sims:         35,000
More than three: 40,000

* If you have already begun the challenge with more than this...Don't worry about it...nobody is keeping score!

No jobs away from the farm (all income must be generated from the farm and home crafts like pottery and painting or writing etc..) 
  • Since time is of the essence, skill cheats are OK. (these Sims would have learned skills like this in their childhood anyway)
  • You cannot change the season you begin in.
  • Depending on the season when you begin...you must work quickly to build a shelter as you establish your farm...obviously, if you begin in winter this is first priority!

The first generation will use tents to sleep in unless or if you have enough money and:

• Need shelter for Toddlers or your Sim is wanting an Infant
  • If you begin in winter use your simoleans to build a small shelter with a fireplace for warmth
  • ...otherwise use the bonfire outside.

You must start with two families from the bin.

(unless you have a weirdly set up game with no Sims in the bin.)

• Either place them on adjacent empty lots of any size and play them alternately or on one huge lot with two homesteads for a more seamless play. Remember that larger lots cost more, but will generate more income if you have room for more livestock!
  • You may build a small building for a bathroom and another small building for livestock. (One for each family if sharing one lot)...no indoor privy!

Plant a garden and fruit trees right away (check the season you are in)

• You will need to live off of what you harvest yourself
  • You may build a greenhouse only if it's winter and you have enough money left. (Although this is not historical/period accurate).

*I highly suggest using Beck's wonderful livestock, butter churn, yarn ball, washtub, and whatever else I am forgetting...to generate some income and food.)

The only Maxis Hobbies items you can use to generate income, at this point, are the sewing machine, pottery wheel, and easel.(No machinery)

• If you want to make a living as a writer, you must have the mod that allows to hand-write a book...no machines!
  • CC and mods for skill are OK as long as they are not modern machinery.
  • Suggested and appropriate bookcases are:   Maxis' CinderBooks by Retratech for 200 simoleans (Base Game) or Ye Olde Codex found here for 10 simoleans (Free Time)

Appliances allowed are a stove and fridge.

• Use any CC that makes your homestead and Sims look authentic if you want to.
  • You must have a smoke alarm, some suggestions are Base Game here, here, here and here.There is a very cheap smoke alarm that is disguised as Antlers here.
  • You may use up the items inside the fridge...(this will help while you wait for that first harvest) but you may not refill the fridge with store bought items after it is empty. 

Generation one has no TV or computer. UPDATE: Phones are allowed. There are some cleverly disguised phones and retro phones here.

This generation does not own automobiles yet.

The object of this first phase of the challenge is to stay alive...keep livestock alive, keep the social worker away, and have the two families integrate whether in this generation or the next...depending on who you choose from the bin...I chose the Travellers and Gavigans because they both had one child a boy and a girl. I placed them on separate adjacent lots for more of a challenge.

Remember to start your very own Thread here in Sims Stories.

Another Update about Rules:

This is the most important rule of all, especially for the 2nd generation...

Let everyone play the way they found challenging and tell the story the way that they want.

This will be a big challenge for me. I will have to download a lot of stuff so the simmies will be able to stay alive. :) I don't know anything about skill cheats so please tell me how to use that.

Rebecah made a great skill cheat at my request. It is the Skill Learning Game Table very rustic, great for homesteaders.

I am going to let my TS2 game generate an entirely new game and then add what Custom Content I want. Using families from the bin is going to cause me some anguish. But I will use DR eyes and skins.

Something I thought might help...So that you do not need to replace everything like clothing and roads etc.. with CC...is to begin your story in the present day, but nothing modern works any longer...similar to an apocalyptic challenge. This way, though there are modern items in game...like the clothing that townies are wearing, most items your Sims have to use are old fashioned only.

Things like cars and computers no longer work.

let me know if anyone is opposed to this idea added to the challenge...If you want to begin the challenge with all CC for an earlier time that is OK too.

So, if it is set during the post modern time then I suppose using a greenhouse would be appropriate since they would have access to the materials to build one.

Yeah, that is fine. I was thinking to begin in a very rustic setting. I suppose they could be refuges from defunct or destroyed cities.

Would the 2nd generation have access to electricity, computers, phones, etc.?

I've been giving Gen. two some thought, and likely they will evolve similar to how real life generations did. The next phase we should see generation two beginning more shops and infrastructure where they could begin the manufacturing of goods and services for the community...working up towards the last generation which can use everything once again. Maybe the second generation can use cars and cameras and a home phone...and the third generation will have the computers and everything else?

Think 'little house on the prairie' = Gen. one

'The Waltons' = Gen. two

(even though the timeframe between the 1800's and 1930's/40's was longer than one generation)...The differences will be more noticeable this way.

I'll make sure to have rules up for the next generation...any input is surely welcome!  :up4:

I am in trouble all ready with this challenge...I have everyone out of the bins and into houses so what do I do now??? Once I take them out of the houses then they would have gotten more money because of the upgrades I did in the house...

What is 'maxmotives'!

@Lisa ~ Well, I have a Major problem. My TS2 is set up so that there are no Sims in the bin. I forget how it is done, Sunni at PBK helped me set it up for Medieval play. So I will not be able to play by the rules. Since there are no winners or losers in this game, may I use my Beastie Bay 'hood? I can set it up in a clean game and have only 2 families to start. Since it is made for medieval play there are no modern conveniences.

What is so very confusing to me is that in one regeneration of my game from scratch I got all the neighborhoods but in my games generated since then for testing, there is only 2 'hoods. But still there is only one had a Sim in the bin and that Sim was the one that left her husband and daughter to become a Dread Pirate.

Oh, yes, how much money are we allowed to have for each family's starting out?

@Sam ~ I think we are supposed to put our game-play family on an empty lot. You could probably move the 2 families you are going to use for the game out of their house and put them on empty lots.

If there is a limit on money how do I get rid of the extra money...oh I know I can put that in their backpacks and then give it to someone else when they make friends with them...will that be ok...let me know how much...

I know what I can do, I can use a neighborhood that I normally don't play...also what size empty lot do we start out with

Thanks Nonni

I think I may have a solution to the No Sims in the Bin! I just use the Sims that the game generates in the ingame CAS. How's that?

Nonni not sure what that mean...also went on a major Rebecah download spree for this challenge :ROLF:

Since this is my first Challenge I hope everyone will be patient with all my questions...omgosh I am in trouble am going in panic mode  :embarrassed:

Keep reading the rules and have another question what is mod that allows to hand-write a book  and where do I find it..please...still need the size of the lot so I can get started please

Nonni,  what does this mean "I am going to let my TS2 game generate an entirely new game and then add what Custom Content I want. Using families from the bin is going to cause me some anguish. But I will use DR eyes and skins."

OK, this is what I figure will be acceptable, I hope.

The lot size is up to us and how much we want to spend. I figure the money would be what 2 adults and one child would get, which is 27,000 simoleans. That is what I am going with.

This is where I got my Sims for the Homestead Challenge. I used the Sims that the game generated.

post-6495-0-23568800-1397623492_thumb.jp

Sorry to double post but I would like to add that the Sims generated by my game will probably look better than the Maxis Sims because:

I have DR Eyes, Face Templates and Skins. I just Googled DR Face Templates, Eyes and Skin, then I picked out the sets that I like best.

The way I figure it, it doesn't matter that much what the Sims look like but how you will direct them to survive and prosper as they Homestead.

I have a lot of questions.

If I choose a family from the bin, will they have 27000 Simoleons to start with?

Are we supposed to choose an empty lot?

Does it matter, regarding the rules, how small or big it is?

If my game starts in the winter and I can't grow things or have fruit from the treas, how will I get my family to survive? Can I buy food? Is it OK to use the fridge with its content and fill it up when it is empty?

Can I use the coathanger that allows the simmies to buy clothes (and change outfit) at home for free?

Maybe I will have more questions later on.

lol keep asking Marbi :ROLF: I have more myself...

I started up a new neighborhood and am using the Picaso's and the Ramaswami's I hope these families didn't have to have kids right away...since others are using the Gavigan's and Traveller's I felt I should use 2 other families...I am also using the 4x4 lot not sure if that is going to be big enough got a sow and boar and within a few min had 2 piglets...same with the cows and chickens...can I use the lot expander if needed...

What cheats are we allowed to use..

are they allowed to have a job, if they already have a job and not allowed one then I should have them quit right

and all the questions Marbi has lol...

can we brain fart them..I don't know the name of that item that changes their aspiration but for my sims I go with knowledge and family

also how do we get them platinum for life

Marbi what coat hanger is that a CC item...

and I know I will have more questions along the way lol.. :grin:

Thank you Rebecah for all the cool things I downloaded from you...sorry I will be going back to each and every one of them to thank you, I forgot earlier got so excited over them...

If anyone would like a refrigerator that looks like...well check it out:

critterfrig_zps945e34fa.jpg

I hang it in a tree using cheats, 'moveobjects on' and 'snapobjectstogrid false'.

I have a lot of questions.

If I choose a family from the bin, will they have 27000 Simoleons to start with?

Are we supposed to choose an empty lot?

Does it matter, regarding the rules, how small or big it is?

If my game starts in the winter and I can't grow things or have fruit from the treas, how will I get my family to survive? Can I buy food? Is it OK to use the fridge with its content and fill it up when it is empty?

Can I use the coathanger that allows the simmies to buy clothes (and change outfit) at home for free?

Maybe I will have more questions later on.

lol keep asking Marbi :ROLF: I have more myself...

I started up a new neighborhood and am using the Picaso's and the Ramaswami's I hope these families didn't have to have kids right away...since others are using the Gavigan's and Traveller's I felt I should use 2 other families...I am also using the 4x4 lot not sure if that is going to be big enough got a sow and boar and within a few min had 2 piglets...same with the cows and chickens...can I use the lot expander if needed...

What cheats are we allowed to use..

are they allowed to have a job, if they already have a job and not allowed one then I should have them quit right

and all the questions Marbi has lol...

can we brain fart them..I don't know the name of that item that changes their aspiration but for my sims I go with knowledge and family

also how do we get them platinum for life

Marbi what coat hanger is that a CC item...

and I know I will have more questions along the way lol.. :grin:

Thank you Rebecah for all the cool things I downloaded from you...sorry I will be going back to each and every one of them to thank you, I forgot earlier got so excited over them...

The money issue got me too...I am used to the Sims 3 where everyone starts out with the same amount...There is a different amount for just about everyone here! It seems to have not only something to do with how many sims are in a bin family...But also, how they lived their life before ending up in the bin...Trent was a successful lawyer, so the Travellers have a lot more money (60,000!) than the Gavigans...I didn't expect that! 

So, what I did was decrease the Traveler's money to match the Gavigan's which is 34,960.. I rounded up to 35,000 for each family of three...

So, lets, figure this out: 

One person needs 25,000

Two: 30,000

Three: 35,000

Does this sound doable?

*Lot size depends on you, but it must be empty to start with...If you want a lot of livestock then you will probably generate more income with them so a bigger lot will pay for itself.

*Cheats not allowed are maxmotives and increasing money cheats like familyfunds, or motherlode (sorry) :) You may have to use the family fund cheat one time in order to reduce your money that you started with from the bin...but if you have started the challenge and cannot do this without losing your stuff...then do not worry...as Nonni said there's no winners or losers and nobody is keeping score.

Yes, Nonni you may use a different family...maybe one from CAS will be best because I wanna see how we can change/wreck/improve the lives of Sims that we all have and know from the game...But if you already started with your own...don't worry about this.

If you begin in the winter you must either use your livestock to generate income, or build a small greenhouse. for food.

The coathanger is fine..I have that too, but I'm going to see if I can sew/knit some clothes...But remember clothes are quite minimal to this lifestyle...but who wants to keep the outfits the Sims spawn when they have a birthday! 

It doesn't matter the status of your family...If they have kids or not right away.

yes, use the lot expander if you need!

They cannot earn income from anywhere but the farm. Not in this first generation. I promise I will be more thorough with the rules for generation two...Yes, things will change with each generation...if any of us survive this first phase!!

For the coathanger:

http://modthesims.info/d/225251

For the writing mod:

http://modthesims.info/d/416677

WOW SAM...If you haven't used the maxmotive cheat yet...That is really good! 

When you type in 'maxmotives' it makes all your Sims happy and they no longer are hungry or have to pee, etc...

Don't be afraid to ask questions...this is my first challenge and this is how I learn...trial and error...lotsa error, I'm afraid!   :embarrassed: 

So, lets, figure this out: 

One person needs 25,000

Two: 30,000

Three: 35,000

Does this sound doable?

Oh, that will help out because I only gave my family 27,000.

*UPDATED*!

No money cheats allowed.

No 'maxmotives'!  Any other cheats are OK

*In order to level the challenge...Here is a guideline for the money each family is allowed to begin with:
One Sim:              25,000 
Two Sims:            30,000
Three Sims:         35,000

* If you have already begun the challenge with more than this...Don't worry about it...nobody is keeping score!

No jobs away from the farm (all income must be generated from the farm and home crafts like pottery and painting or writing etc..) 

Since time is of the essence, skill cheats are OK. (these Sims would have learned skills like this in their childhood anyway)

You cannot change the season you begin in.

Depending on the season when you begin...you must work quickly to build a shelter as you establish your farm...obviously, if you begin in winter this is first priority!

The first generation will use tents to sleep in...If you want to begin in winter...use your simoleons to build a small shelter with a fireplace for warmth...otherwise use the bonfire outside.

You must start with two families from the bin.

Either place them on adjacent empty lots of any size and play them alternately or on one huge lot with two homesteads for a more seamless play. Remember that larger lots cost more, but will generate more income if you have room for more livestock!

You must build a small building for a bathroom, and another small building for livestock. (One for each family if sharing one lot)...no indoor privy!

Plant a garden and fruit trees right away (check the season you are in)...You will need to live off of what you harvest yourself...You may build a greenhouse only if it's winter and you have enough money left. (Although this is not historical/period accurate).

*I highly suggest using Beck's wonderful livestock, butter churn, yarn ball, washtub, and whatever else I am forgetting...to generate some income and food.)

*The only maxis skill items you can have at this point are the sewing machine, pottery wheel, and easel.(No machinery)

If you want to make a living as a writer, you must have the mod that allows to hand-write a book...no machines! CC and mods for skill are OK. as long as they are not modern machinery.

Appliances allowed are a stove and fridge...Use any CC that makes your homestead and Sims look authentic if you want to.

You may use up the items inside the fridge...(this will help while you wait for that first harvest) but you may not refill the fridge with store bought items after it is empty. 

Generation one has no TV or computer or phone.( If you need info, you can read the paper, and you must travel into town to use a phone.)..but, you must have a smoke alarm.

This generation does not own automobiles yet.

The object of this first phase of the challenge is to stay alive...keep livestock alive, keep the social worker away, and have the two families integrate whether in this generation or the next...depending on who you choose from the bin...I chose the Travellers and Gavigans because they both had one child a boy and a girl. I placed them on separate adjacent lots for more of a challenge.

~God bless~ Lisa