UA-38832503-1 Jump to content
  • Announcements

• Rebecah

Private Messages   11/10/2017

I have finally restored most of the private messages in a separate database.   Click Here and log in.  You should be able to find your messages.  That is all I have there for now.  Most images and files should be available..now.   You must open this message to use the link.
    • Rebecah

We are still here! :)   11/13/2017

It looks like all our hard work paid off, as we were not shut down yesterday.  Thank so much for all your help!
Mission Mouse

Why Are Objects Slaved?

I came across some lovely creations today, and then didn't bother with getting them. I do not understand what it means when one object is slaved to another one. I think it means if you don't have the object it is slaved to it won't show up in your game???

Why would someone slave an object from two entirely different creators, and two entirely different sets, together? I won't say where, but a bedroom set was slaved to one of SDA's kitchen counter. I don't get it.

I could maybe, slightly, possibly understand if it was because of a nightstand, but it was actually a bed that was slaved to the counter.

Why is slaving done? I tend to stay away from objects that are slaved to something that seems to me to have nothng to do with what I am downloading.  I've looked at what they are slaved to and 99% of the time I don't even want that in my game.

I do, however have that set from Rebeca, the Driftwood one that you have to have for something else to show up...forget what it was, but I liked both sets and have them in my game. Plus I'm pretty sure that there was a direct connection between the two sets. That made sense to me.

I think understand when someone is making matching room sets for every room, to have one object be the slave means that other objects can draw the textures and recolours from the slaved object, is that right? If that's the case I understand why that is done.

What I came across today kinda made me angry, the object you needed for the bed to show up is a pay file, and the bed file is free.

Now for something a little less annoying :slapLaugh: you know that one bed, it's goofy looking (in my opinion), the one that looks like it has giant flower petals for the headboard.....well I just loathe that bed, i don't know why, but I do. So in my travels today on that great internet highway I came across some beddings, on that bed I hate. Didn't get them either. :slapLaugh:

I don't really know why they are slaved, so I cannot give an detailed explanation. But, when they are slaved, means they pull the textures of the object they are slaved to.

If you don't get the "master" object (the one that others are slaved to) they will show up in game, but they will be all flashing blue (or red, I don't really remember) because the object that they are slaved to do not exist in your game, so the slaved object doesn't have anything to pull textures from. :smiley:

Hmmm....I hate paysites. Why do you have to pay for an object/hairstyle or any type of CC to appear in your game? I mean, there wasn' The Sims 2 store for that? And these are just people that want to make money from a game. This seems ridiculous for me. If they want money, they should make their own game.

I hope I helped!

I have also come across those sets that are slaved to SDA stuff and I think it is from the same place that you have visited. I wanted those but I didn't download because it was slaved. Sometimes it is good that it is slaved, sometimes not, and sometimes it really irritates me. :) I think you are right about a slaved object drawing textures and recolors from the "master" object/objects but if it is a pay file that is really annoying.

I know that bed and I totally agree with you. :) Wouldn't get the beddings either.

I have also come across those sets that are slaved to SDA stuff and I think it is from the same place that you have visited. I wanted those but I didn't download because it was slaved. Sometimes it is good that it is slaved, sometimes not, and sometimes it really irritates me. :) I think you are right about a slaved object drawing textures and recolors from the "master" object/objects but if it is a pay file that is really annoying.

I know that bed and I totally agree with you. :) Wouldn't get the beddings either.

I know that slaving saves room in your download folder. But I still find it irritating.

I know that slaving saves room in your download folder. But I still find it irritating.

That may be, but it's so time consuming to search all over the sims community for the master item. I some cases the site where the original set was posted, doesn't exist any more :( 

If all creators upload their stuff the way Beck does it, by giving a direct link to the master object, it wouldn't have been such a nuisance. 

I avoid slaved objects as far as I can :)

How does "slaving" save room in your downloads folder? I ask because I play 3 themes and so a "slaved" item I need for one theme, I may also need for a different theme. If I scan my downloads folder I'm afraid to remove items that are "doubled, in case they are a "slaved" item.

I do remove doubles when I check the MD thing.

Should I have one folder dedicated to only "slaved" items and then have that folder in every theme? :insane:

I have come across so many things I wish I could have for my game, but far too many of them require meshes from sites that no longer exist.

I know about the "graveyard" and that you can ask at "Sims Cave", but that is very difficult for me to do, not the "graveyard", the asking at "Sims Cave". I feel like a pest.... :(

I have so many CD's with CC on them and back then I didn't make folders for the meshes and then the coresponding recolours.

I found a ton of recolours for sets I loved, but the recolours are on one site, and then the creator put the meshes on another site that no longer exists. I've searched high and low for the meshes, but no luck.

I guess this is what happens when you are a die-hard sims 2 addict. :slapLaugh:

How do you know if something is slaved..I wouldn't have any idea if it was or wasn't...still don't understand what slaved is...this is the first time I have ever heard of it..

I first heard of it when I came across something called "Jonsei Blanket".

I noticed at "Sims2Artists", they tend to slave everything they can. But they are not the only ones to do this. I've come across quite a few things lately.

From what I now understand, when one item is "slaved", the coresponding items draw their textures and colours from the "slaved" item. If I have it right, all one has to do is recolour that one "slave" item and then the colours apply to anything that is "slaved" to it.

AHA, Nonni, now I get why it would save room in your downloads folder.

Hey Karen at my site I will be adding a lot of links to other sites so when you are over there if you wouldn't mind letting me know if sites aren't any good or if they are paid sites or if they do this slaving..then I can take them off...most of what I will be putting on there are the ones that I have been to and have used some of their stuff...please if you would...

Thank you for the updates on this slaving thing.. :)

I have some sites bookmarked, but I think it would still be a good idea to link to that site on you forum. They have some really beautiful stuff and they also have files that are no longer available that they share.

I'm getting lots of stuff that has been converted from Sims 3 :55:  there are so may talented people still making things for Sims 2.

I am so :ExcitedSmiley: running all over the internet finding things. I'm a wee bit smarter now I take copies of the room pictures and rename them the same as the room. When I find a recolour, I just add that to the file name.

Then when I make a folder for my downloads, I put the mesh files and all of the recolours in that one file, with the pictue and then I make a collection of it and then put the collection package in that same file and then I do a rar file for that folder.

I am going to be so organised when I finally get my desk top fixed.

I found one of those slaved sites and a slaved rugs that I had been using...got rid of those real fast omgosh..didn't even pay attention to the word slaved until last night when I was adding links..

Thank you so much for the warning on that...

I will be glad to add those links to the site maybe I can find things that I will want or need when I get my game back up and running lol...

There are also "Mirror" sites for SIms 2. Someone has made copies of some sites that are no longer available and you can go to that "Mirror" site and still get those creators objects.

When you add links, make sure they are not "hot-linked". That means that access for the site comes from your site and uses your  bandwidth. That means you pay for them to see things on other peoples sites, not an expense that you want to incur.

Most forums have a policy against "hot-linking".

Karen you are driving me nuts :1doh1:  How will I know that they are Mirrored...well if you would check the links I have already added and see if those are ok..and see if I had things right..they will be under other site links..Thanks Karen for the warnings lol... :smiley:

:ROLF:  I have no idea how to tell if a site is mirrored, I just happened to find some in my travels. Unfortunately I didn't book mark all of them.

There is also something called "The Way Back Machine"....you are supposed to be able to find sites that are gone with this. I still haven't got it figured out, it's complicated and apparently you need the site's original address. Like I am going to know that... :1doh1:

I can't check at your site, I can't get in.....again... :1doh1:

ok will check out why you can't get in...Alet got in..

I am not worried about sites that are no longer around...will have enough trouble keeping track of the ones that are still around and legit :grin:

I found some Sims 2 sites on that "Way Back" machine, happy I did. Some good stuff there.

I can't remember my sign in name or my password, didn't write them down. :1doh1:  I know my sign in is some variation of "JakesMom"..... :slapLaugh: 

I would venture to say most CC made back when the game first came out was not made for play on a laptop. Don't think they had them back then???

I had my desk-top specifically made to far and above exceed the minimum requirements set out by EA because I have that CC addiction problem. My computer builder thought I was :insane:  to ask for as much ram as I did, an extra fan for cooling and a way better video card.

I might see what upgrades I can get when I finally get it fixed. :laugh1: