UA-38832503-1 Jump to content
  • Announcements

• Rebecah

Private Messages   11/10/2017

I have finally restored most of the private messages in a separate database.   Click Here and log in.  You should be able to find your messages.  That is all I have there for now.  Most images and files should be available..now.   You must open this message to use the link.
    • Rebecah

We are still here! :)   11/13/2017

It looks like all our hard work paid off, as we were not shut down yesterday.  Thank so much for all your help!
broomhilda61

What Is The Difference Between A Hack And A Mod

I am going through my bookmarked links and am finding a lot of conflicts..some people are calling things hacks and when I click on that the creator is calling them mods..what is the difference..

Thanks for your help in advance :smiley:

As I understand it a hack is a global mod. A mod is any modification of a maxi object. 

Beck can explain this much better,I'm sure :)

The best explanantion I have come across was at MTS2.

They don't use the term hacks, which I think confuses people.

They call them Global Mods and Game Mods.

A Global Mod requires no intervention on behalf of the player. It runs in the background and changes gameplay, the player does nothing to influence the gameplay.

A Game Mod is a specific object that has been modified (hacked), and usually has a "pie" menue that lets you chose options.

I know somewhere I posted all this information...just can't remember where.

The thing is some people make no distinction between the two terms. They use both terms to describe both things and that is where the confusion begins.

For example, The Hack Detection" program isn't just for hacked things, it's also for Global Mods.

I think hacks and mods are the same things. There are different types of mods, some can be Global and some are connected to an object. I really think Beck could explain this better.

To me Hacks and Mods are basically 2 sides of the same coin. Hacks are modded (changed) objects that give you an advantage beyond normal gameplay, usually to make the game easier (cheating) :grin: . Mods alter program codes - that makes the object perform differently than originally intended and usually effects the whole game. I guess Mod and Global Mod would be better and less confusing for some.

Maybe if you think of it this way, if it's an actual item you can see, it's a hack. You can "buy" it or click on it and it has a pie menu, it's a hack.

I tend to think of hacks as actual game objects that I can see with my eyes. I can click on these things and a pie menu comes up with options that can affect game-play.

A Mod, for me is something I can't see, but it runs in the background and changes the way the game was originally designed to play. The mods I have make game-play easier, not harder. My life is challenging enough. Besides, I get attached to my Sims and don't want to make their lives any more difficult than I already do.

I never play with "free will". My Sims have to do what I say..... :ROLF:

Thank you so much Karen..I actually got that :slapLaugh:  I play with the free will on but I have full control of them...l have enough drama in my life and don't want that same drama in my Sims..

Sorry it takes several attempts for anyone to explain it to me so I can understand..and it is the same thing that the last person said but worded different..and that makes all the difference.. :smiley:

Thank you again Karen.. :Thank_you:

Mod is short for modification.  Hack is a term that means one is doing something extremely different, or illegal.  

Hackers have generally been people who go into systems and steal information, or go somewhere they are not legally suppose to go.  Similar to someone breaking into someone's home or business and stealing property, or trespassing.  

I'm really not sure Hack is a proper term to even be used in relation to a Sims item.  

Extreme to me, is like someone thinking they are better than others or deserve something more than another person, or someone who uses violence or fear to force another to believe in something.

Aha, :Sunshine: (the light bulb just turned on) so now I will think in terms of Global Mods and Game Mods and eliminate the term "hacks".

I like that better anyway. :Thank_you:

Aha, :Sunshine: (the light bulb just turned on) so now I will think in terms of Global Mods and Game Mods and eliminate the term "hacks".

I like that better anyway. :Thank_you:

I never did like Hacks, Modifications or Mods is much more pleasant terminology.

I do feel Hack gives one a bad feeling about the item.  I too, prefer the term Mod at least for these things.  That's just my humble opinion.  

I never thought about that in those terms outside of gaming mode. However I agree and will discontinue the use of the term. Now I must rename a bunch of things in my DL Folder :grin: